- Divisions:Mayor & Borough Council
- Phone:(848) 209-9613
Since becoming a Councilperson in 2000, Elsie has served as Council Chair for numerous departments. She currently serves as Council Chair for the Department of Public Safety, including the Fire Department, First Aid Squad, Police Department, Office of Emergency Management (OEM) and Community Response Team (CERT). Previously she was Council Liaison to Recreation and Arts, Finance, Department of Public Utilities, Economic Development and Planning, Health and Welfare.
Additionally, she served as Borough Council President for eight years and acting Mayor for several months. Her Council leadership has also included overseeing the administration of the Borough and positions in the Board of Education, Office of Public Information, Personnel, Communications and more. These roles have given her a complete sense of our government operations and enabled her to utilize her leadership skills in nearly every aspect of the Council.
While the Borough of Highland Park is her primary focus, Elsie has served in leadership roles in state, federal and international capacities, including:
- President of the Jamaican Organization of New Jersey (2009-2010)
- President and founder of the United Caribbean American Network of New Jersey (2002-2005)
- Executive Board Member of Caribbean American Elected Leaders
- Member of Governor Corzine Blue Ribbon Advisory Panel on Immigration Policy (2007-2009)
- Legislative Liaison for the Department of Personnel for the State of New Jersey (2008-2009)
Some of her most notable accomplishments for the Borough include:
- Strengthen municipal services with effective communications internally and with the public through technology and communications services
- Reviewed and identified fiscal needs and policies and developed analyzed spending patterns for efficiency, including labor sourcing and shared service opportunities
- Implemented Redevelopment Agency and periodically review
- Broke ground for Environmental Education Center
- Assured building safety and implemented accessibility and compliance with ADA laws
- Strengthened Police Activities League and neighborhood associations
Elsie is the President and CEO of Aunt Elsie’s Homestays, an International Student Housing organization. She is also the Legislative Liaison to the State of New Jersey Civil Service Commission and a founding partner of JamPhil Consultants, LLC. Her community service work includes numerous speaking engagements and mediation, such as:
- Facilitated the creation and launch of the Jamaican Trade Council of New Jersey (2005)
- Brokered relationship with NJ State Department of Commerce to grant operating license to Jamaica National Building Society, the largest privately owned building society in the Caribbean into the State of New Jersey (2004)
- Worked with the Office of the Governor of the State of New Jersey to initiate disaster relief programs and assistance to hurricane victims in the Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guyana, Haiti and Jamaica (2004)
- Delivered keynote addresses at the First Jamaica Diaspora Convocation at the Mona School of Business, University of the West Indies Jamaica (2003), the Caribbean Heritage Month at McGuire Air Force Base, New Jersey, and the Caribbean Heritage Month at Yokota Air Force Base, Fussa, Japan
Elsie is an MBA in Global Management Candidate and holds a BS in Business Administration and Human Resource Management. She attended Women’s Campaign School, Yale University, New Haven, CT and Essex College of Business, Newark, NJ.