Brill Mittler, Gayle
- Divisions:Mayor & Borough Council
- Phone:(732) 777-6001
Gayle Brill Mittler has served as Mayor of Highland Park since 2014. As Mayor, Gayle takes a managed and goal-oriented approach to governing. To that end, she has established five goals on which the governing body concentrates its efforts: a)tax stabilization, b) downtown development, c) infrastructure, d) quality of life, and e) transparency.
Under Gayle’s leadership, Highland Park has achieved success in a number of areas, and received recognition from both the County and State for many of our accomplishments, including:
- DOT Clean up and repainting of retaining wall at entrance to Highland Park in 2015
- Helped stabilize real estate taxes by introduction of shared services with County, Woodbridge, Highland Park School District and PSE&G in 2015 and ongoing
- Complete Streets Excellence Award at the 2015 NJ Complete Street Summit
- Named first HeartSafe Municipality in New Jersey in 2017
- Awarded NJ Municipality’s Innovation in Governance Award for “Park Partners Community Grant Program” (2014) “HP Gives a Hoot” (2016) and "Civics for the Community" (2018)
- Named a Heartsaver and Stroke Hero by the American Heart Association and American Stroke Association in 2017
- Gold Level Recognition and Outstanding Achievement award for our Safe Walking and Biking Committee, from New Jersey’s Safe Routes to School 2017 and New Jersey Smart Workplaces
- Silver Sustainability status from Sustainable New Jersey in 2017
- Microgrid feasability study grant from the State Board of Utilities in 2017
- Named New Jersey's Healthy Community for 2017-2018
- Repurposed a portion of the Borough's underutilized land for a PSE&G solar field study project netting additional income for the municipality
Gayle represents the values of Highland Park as a member of the Executive Board of the League of Municipalities and a member of the Climate Mayors organization and Local Progress. She also focuses her efforts on benefitting all residents of Highland Park. In 2015 she created “HP Gives a Hoot”, a nonprofit organization to help our young residents in need. While Mayor, Highland Park adopted an Inclusive Community resolution to protect and welcome historically discriminated populations, as well as a program which enables all residents of Highland Park to receive Municipal ID cards for use as identification within the Borough.
As Mayor of Highland Park, Gayle Brill Mittler has concentrated efforts towards redevelopment of the Borough’s downtown. The municipality became an Area in Need of Rehabilitation in 2017. Since then, the newly formed Rehab Screening Advisory Committee has seen and passed along several new downtown development projects for approval by the Council Redevelopment Entity and Planning Boards.
Prior to her appointment as Mayor, Gayle was a Council member since October 2009, serving as Council President from 2012-2013. She has been a business owner in Highland Park since 1995. She has been involved in community service organizations for many years, including:
- Past coordinator, Central NJ for Obama, Jewish Outreach (2008)
- Past Vice Chair, National Public Policy/Social Action Committee, United Synagogue for Conservative Judaism (2005-2009)
- Past Chair, Highland Park Democratic Municipal Committee (2000-2003)
- Past Publicity and Marketing Chair, Highland Park Education Foundation (1998-2000)