221 South Fifth Avenue
Fx: (732) 777-6017
Monday and Thursday
4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Prior to receiving a building permit, zoning approval is required for most modifications, new use to an existing structure, installations or construction activity for both residential and commercial property. The Zoning Officer administers the enforcement of the Zoning Ordinance which can be found on the website by searching Land Development or section 230 of the municipal code.
Zoning permit applications are available in the Code Enforcement Department or can be downloaded from the website (www.hpboro.com) or mailed by calling or emailing the Zoning Clerk. Along with the application please include a copy of the survey for the property highlighting the proposed changes and the required fee, which is listed on the application. When the zoning application is approved building permits can be applied for.
In the HOME typical applications include:
- Installation of a shed, fence, attic dormer, air conditioning unit, or deck
- Porch or step replacement
- Creating a living space where it did not exist before, finishing a basement
- Changing from one-family to multiple-family use, or vice versa
For a BUSINESS, typical applications include:
- Installation of a sign or awning (a Sign/Awning Information Form)
- Change of use (for example from retail use to professional office use)
- New business opening
- Interior Renovations